The Florida Poison Information Center – Tampa is staffed by nurses, pharmacists and physicians trained in toxicology. Based on years of toxicology experience and a computerized database describing over 500,000 substances, we provide advice within minutes for each question or emergency. We are certified as a Regional Poison Center by the American Association of Poison Control Centers. The center provides coverage for 6 million residents in central and southwest Florida. The Poison Center is located on the campus of Tampa General Hospital and is primarily funded by grants from Florida Department of Health, Children’s Medical Services and the U.S. Department of Health Resources and Services Administration.
Managing Director: Alfred Aleguas, BS Pharm, PharmD, D.ABAT
Medical Director: Tamas R. Peredy, MD, FACEP, FACMT
Associate Medical Director: Gregory G. Gaar, MD, FAAP, FACEP, FAACT
We are part of a network of Florida Poison Information Centers that provide telephone advice and educational programs for three geographic areas:
- Florida Poison Information Center – Jacksonville serves northeast Florida and panhandle counties.
- Florida Poison Information Center – Miami serves Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach, Collier, Lee and Monroe counties.
- Florida Poison Information Center – Tampa serves the following 16 counties in central and southwest Florida: Charlotte, DeSoto, Glades, Hardee, Hendry, Highlands, Hillsborough, Manatee, Okeechobee, Orange, Osceola, Pasco, Pinellas, Polk, Sarasota, and Seminole.
Poison centers were established as health care providers authorized to share protected patient information with health care providers providing direct patient care in HIPAA regulations in 45CFR parts 160 and 164 as published in the Federal Register on Dec 28, 2000. In addition, the CDC has provided the American Association of Poison Control Centers (AAPCC) with a grant of authority to conduct surveillance activity and function as a public health authority to which covered entities may disclose protected health information. In addition, the Florida Poison Information Centers are a State of Florida, Department of Health program performing public health functions. As such we are exempt from HIPAA privacy regulations.
- CFR45, Federal Register, Dec 28, 2000
- Letter on CDC authority to function as public health entity, Executive Director, American Association of Poison Control Centers (AAPCC)
HIPPA and FL Poison Centers: Letter from the Florida Hospital Association
- Letter from State of Florida Department of Health confirming that Poison Centers in Florida are performing public health functions under state law and are exempt from HIPAA privacy regulations. Health care providers may share information with the poison centers without written consent.
Please do not email us with poisoning cases! If you have a poisoning emergency or question, please call 1-800-222-1222.
Disclaimer: This website is designed to be informational and educational. Under no circumstance is this website meant to provide medical treatment or replace the expert advice of a qualified poison information specialist or physician.
Tampa General Hospital, PO Box 1289, Tampa, FL 33601
Phone: (813) 844-7044
Fax: (813) 844-4443